by Dr Kamarul Azahar Bin Mohd Razali
WHAT IS HEALTH?
- According to the Oxford dictionary, the meaning : condition of a person's body or mind. State of being physically & mentally healthy.
- In Islam : Spiritually healthy & Socially healthy. Islam always have a constant link to Allah Ta'ala.
HEALTH IS WEALTH
- Positive state of being; not absence of any diseases.
- Disease is a state of dis-equilibrium. Loss of spiritual equilibrium is a disease in itself, soon leads to physical disease.
- Keeping the body in good health is a resposibily, amanat.
- Neglect of one's health is a sin.
- Good health is a gift from Allah subhanwa ta'ala
- Oxford dictionary : Legal relationship between a husband & wife
- Islamic perspective : A commitment the partners make to one another as well as to God, Allah. (quranic verses, 4:1, 7:107, 30:21)
- Marriage is a sunnah of the Prophet salallahu alaihi wasalam : normal, natural course for women & men.
- Marriage is the only institution allowing full expression of human sexuality in a responsible way.
- Equitable and realistic moderation. The contract is a serious, permanent bond if not workable, may be terminated in honour, kindness, with equity & peace.
- Procreation of the human race. Advisable not to marry next to kin / close relatives (though you can). As inter-racial/inter-cultural marriages produces better genes.
- Sustenance. Work hard on the marriage, communicate more and pray hard... inshallah.. "they'll live happily ever after." Happily in this world and hereafter. Marriage for this world and for the hereafter.
PREPARATION TO PARENTHOOD
- Choosing spouse. The best Muslim is the one who is best to his family, and the greatest, most blessed joy in life is a good righteous wife (Prophet Muhammad SAW)
- Educate women and of course, men. Knowledge is wealth.. marry an educated woman. Marry, and educate your woman.
- 'Parenting Skills' Not hands down.. its hands on & on & on.. Need to acquire & upgrade continuously.
- Educating Children Parents are the best role models.. Increase positive empowerment, decrease corporal punishment.
- Rule of Seven : until they are 7 of age .. Play with them and also teach them how to pray at early age...
- The pregnancy & the fetus must be wanted. No sex preference, though it's nice to prefer. However pray for a pious child.
- Prevention of fetal abnormalities (1st 10 weeks). No smoking/alcohol/drug abuse/decrease folinic acid.
- Spiritual / phsycological / mental / physical preparations
- Ante-natal visits & health screening
- Preparation for breast feeding / delivery
- Choosing of baby's name (good meaning in Islam)
to be continued..